Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 02:08:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@netaxs.com>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA CD-R problems, still...

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Bryan Liesner wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Brian Fundakowski Feldman wrote:
>
> >Well, I don't know about anyone else out there having the problems I'm
> >having, but I might as well ask.  I'm using the ATA driver with the
> >following bugfix applied, otherwise the same.
> >

> At the risk of sounding like an AOLer, me too.   Prior to the most
> recent changes incorporating burncd, I was able to write to my HP
> 8250i using wormcontrol.  Never burned a coaster, it was very
> reliable.  Now when I use burncd, I get WRITE_BIG errors, and then
> the driver tries endlessly to reset.  The only way out is to hit the
> big red reset button.

To add a little bit to that, on the side-note area...  Okay, first of
all, the reason it keeps resetting is that when the timeout() is
called (which resets the controller, see ata{,pi}_reset()), the timer
which fires is in the kernel proper (!) and as such takes over all
control of the CPU.  E.g. you won't get your processes run very much
(to make an understatement).  I have been able to get a Ctrl+Alt+Del
in at the right time (between the timer being set and being fired)
to get the box rebooted, otherwise I have the same problem as you.
   Now, failing to address why the hardware is failing, there really
needs to be a better way to reset controllers.  Why don't we have
timers fire in their own kthread, one per timeout()?  I think that
this would be a very useful change, and an important one that could
be implemented before the "feature freeze" for 4.0.  Does anyone
have a better idea regarding that?
   But, don't let me take the focus away from the CD-R issue.  It's
pretty important to be able to figure out why some CD-Rs no longer
work (obviously, Soren's work :)