Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 11:02:40 +0200 (EET)
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        alane@geeksrus.net (Alan Eldridge)
Cc:        cjc@FreeBSD.ORG (Crist J. Clark), will@csociety.org (Will Andrews), ports@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-xfree86@lists.csociety.org
Subject:   Re: [FreeBSD-XFree86] Re: FW: cvs commit: ports/x11/XFree86-4 Makefile Makefile.man pkg-plist pkg-plist.alpha pkg-plist.pc98 por

> On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 09:42:05PM -0800, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >Am I doing something wrong or does,
> >
> >  # cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
> >  # make
> >
> >Take a staggering amount of scratch space with the meta-port approach?
> >

> You are not, and it does.
>
> I suggested and will try to test this week a simple set of patches to
> give them all the same WRKDIR and force a clean before each extract. This
> should get the space issue taken care of. I can't get to it before Weds
> since I'm gonna go see Television tomorrow night (NYC is cool sometimes).

Another slightly different approach is to select one central port,
say XFree86-4-libraries, which would build *all* of XFree86-4,
make other components depend on completion of the build target of
that port and install their portion of XFree86-4 from the central
port's WRKSRC. This approach has many advantages compared to the
current one:

- All patches are gathered in one location;

- no additional 10x disk space overhead during the build of XFree86-4
  metaport;

- updating of the port to a new version is much simpler - you only need
  to update central port and adjust pkg-plist's of all other components.
  No need to perform 9 separate updates.

The only disadvantage is that when the user only needs one component
he still have to run the full build of XFree86-4, but from my own
experience this is quite unlikely situation, because most users will
just install metaport and forget about it until new XFree86-4 version
is released.

I would like to hear what FreeBSD XFree86 team think about it.

-Maxim