Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:04:24 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Bruce M. Simpson" <bms@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org, Matus Harvan <mharvan@inf.ethz.ch>, Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Subject:   Re: UDP catchall

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

On Sat, Oct 27, 2007 at 04:21:23AM +0100, Bruce M. Simpson wrote:
>  Matus Harvan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was wondering if I could get some feedback about the patch and
> > whether others think it could be committed.
> >  =20
>=20
>  The UDP catchall patch as submitted here clashes with the blackhole=20
>  functionality, and also bypasses the update of the protocol statistics a=
nd=20
>  unreachable port rate limiting. It is not yet suitable for a production=
=20
>  kernel.
>=20
>  It probably shouldn't trigger the log_in_vain message, however that log=
=20
>  message is misleading anyway (the reception of UDP datagrams destined fo=
r=20
>  unbound ports is not a 'connection attempt').
>=20
>  I would argue that the UDP and TCP catchall feature should perhaps have =
a=20
>  configurable port range as well, under=20
>  net.inet.ip.portrange.relayhigh/relaylow. This would allow the inpcb cod=
e to=20
>  avoid allocating sockets from that range at all -- as well as allowing=
=20
>  inbound packets for that range to be immediately relayed to mtund withou=
t=20
>  the cost of a hash lookup.

While I think this idea has some merit, I think we specifically want
the current wildcard ability to allow for a system that requires
minimal configuration.  The problem with a range is that it doesn't
allow disjoint sets and it requires that if you really do want all the
ports you need to produce a list of currently allocated ports to avoid
allocating.  A more (over)engineered solution holds some attraction, but
I'm not yet convinced the fact that it could exist precludes the current
implementation.

-- Brooks

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua

--SUOF0GtieIMvvwua--