Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 18:46:45 -0500
From:      Jim Mock <jim@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Chris Andrews <chris@Livecast.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Please change this

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 at 15:31:50 -0800, Chris Andrews wrote:
> TO: WEBMASTER OR PERSON WHO CONTROLS YOUR WEBSITE
>
> It has come to our attention that you are using the term "Livecast"
> on the page referenced below, and possibly other pages.
>
> http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2000/freebsd-multimedia/20000123.freebsd-multimedia.html

Did you even bother looking at it?  If you did, you'd notice the URL you
specify above is to a mailing list archive.  The word "Livecast" is
mentioned because the poster says:

	news flash:

	I just got livecast to connect and remain connected with a
	Lvl: value indicating my audio level, this is unusual.

> Livecast is a registered trademark that is owned by Livecast, Inc. We
> would like to ask you to please change Livecast to a generic or
> industry term such as "webcast" or "live webcast."

So you're against people saying they have Livecast working?  Heh.

> Although this might seem like a minor matter to you, it is important
> to us that the Livecast trademark be understood by the public in an
> accurate manner. Your page gets referenced by search engines which can
> confuse the public. We have had to continually police the use of
> Livecast on the Internet, including recently filing a trademark
> infringement lawsuit in federal court against CNN/SI.

What does this have to do with the message?  This tells me you didn't
even bother looking at the page you referenced.

> Please change this page(s) on your website, and if you would email me
> back when the change is completed, I would appreciate it. If you also
> re-submit your website to the major search engines, then that will
> ensure that the public gets up-to-date content from your site when
> they do searches.

This is not part of the FreeBSD.org web site per se -- it is an archived
email sent from a private individual to a mailing list.  FreeBSD.org has
no say over the content of the messages sent to its lists and has no way
of preventing the word "livecast" from being mentioned in mail to its
mailing lists.

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org