Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 15:36:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Sujit Manolikar <sujit_for_you@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: help me

On 01-Jan-70 Sujit Manolikar wrote:
> dear sir
>
> i want to download and run your FreeBSD Unix. But i m rather confused about
> the installation. and partitioning the drive. plz help me.
>
> my hardware:
>
> Hard Disk 4.3 GB with only one large drive named C:\ and is not partitioned.
>
> i m currently running dos and windows on my machine. can i run the
>
> dos windows and FreeBSD simultaneously. and will it be as easy as pressing F8
> key and selecting the OS to load. i m afraid that after installing the FreeBSD
> i will loose my Windows and Dos. plz let me know.

Thanks for your interest, Sujit.

If your drive is one large C: that is 4.3G then your filesystem is probably
FAT32. I know that the 'fips' program can handle FAT16 but I am not sure if it
also manages FAT32. Someone else perhaps can chip in on this? There is also
presizer.exe which should be able to do this.

Anyway, you will have to repartition your drive. I suggest you make 1G available
as a primary partition somehow. It is probably important that this partition
megins within the first 1024 cylinders of the disk. If you already use the LBA
setting in your BIOS then this should not be a problem.

With a partitioned drive you should be able to install FreeBSD on ad0s2 as the
partition will call itself. ad0s1 is your old windows partition. Do not touch
ad0s1 as that may cause loss of your windows installation.

Installation is either via a CD (which is definately the easiest, you can
even boot from it these days), or via two 1.44M diskettes. You will have to
create the diskettes yourself as per instructions in
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.1-RELEASE/floppies/README.TXT

You should also have web access for this to work. All the files will be pulled
down via ftp. Doing this via modem is slow.

Hope this helps somehow!
/M

presizer.exe and fips.exe can be found at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools/

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail
running on FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE