Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:02:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: this spam

> A few short (OT) questions: Why do spammers spam? I mean, people do not
> buy "products" from the guy who sent them spam, do they? (please tell me
> they don't...) So, how do spammers make enough money to be able to keep
> on spamming?
> Your thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

	Having dealt with a customer who wanted to go this route... here
is what I found out:

	Buying a mailing list of email address is roughly $20.00 per
million "verified" addresses.

	One of the programs (Windows based,) to send out bulk email is
about $40.00

	Out of a million addresses they say you get about .5% sales, which
is 5000 (assuming I did my math right! :)

	If you're selling your product at $10 a hit... you can make a
profit pretty quickly with minimal effort on your part. Which to me is the
real attraction... American's believe in minimal effort to get rich.

	(BTW... I was able to convince that customer NOT to go this
route... by subscribing them to a couple of large mailing lists.. :)

	Rick