Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 04:28:29 -0500
From:      "Corigan" <corigan@mindspring.com>
To:        "Bruce Evans" <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Having problems with a 40 gig IDE drive.

> wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <Maxtor 94098U8>
> wd1: 39082MB (80041248 sectors), 79406 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
                                   ^^^^^

I have this same drive, and have gotten it to partition over, and that is
what the cyls look like.  Unfortunately I have had it get eaten three times
now when it gets near the end, I had it partition into two parts, a 19 gig
and a 17.  When I started writing near the end of the drive the kernel goes
bonkers, cruds out, panics, reboots then comes back up, can't get through
fsck, run manually, run an fsck -y so it just cranks, eventually seg faults
out, happened to me three times and lost all data on the second partition,
not sure exactly what to do about this situation.  I assume this isn't
anything defective with the drive and is just a problem with something with
bsd.  Anybody know a fix for this?

Matt Thomas