Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 1999 23:12:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse lockup in X

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, J McKitrick wrote:

> Sometimes when i start FBSD, the mouse won't work in windowmaker.  Other
> times it is fine.  Starting X again or logging out and back in don't work.
> Only a reboot cures it.  ANy ideas?
> FBSD 3.2
> Toshiba Satellite laptop with PS/2 mouse

I first encountered this immediately after upgrading to 3.3-RC. It would
very rarely work when starting X and WM. The mouse (PS/2 to 9-pin
adaptor on sio0 using the mousesystems protocol) would not work in console
either. Both moused and X would detect it and identify it correctly but it
would refuse to move. Initially I got it to work in Microsoft (two-button)
mode only until I tried a more sophisticated approach...

Try twiddling the mouse connector or dis- and reconnecting it - oddly
enough, this is what fixes it for me. Since I'm pretty sure I don't have a
hardware/connector problem and it only started doing it right after
installing 3.3-RC, this behaviour strikes me as strange.

-ac

--
Alex Charalabidis
WebNet Memphis