Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:36:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        Sean Cull <Sean@blizzard.bc.tac.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: procfs full??

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Sean Cull wrote:

> I installed FreeBSD the other day, and accepted the Auto-defaults for
> partitions (/usr, /var, etc.) and the installation went fine. I then
> proceeded to install a few ports, and those ran fine. But last night I was
> downloading something and then I was getting an error saying /proc was full.
> As much as I've looked, I can't find out exactly what procfs is... I'm
> wondering how I can be out of space when I have 10 gigs free on my drive.

procfs is a "pseudo-filesystem" mounted on /proc, and contains details of
all the running processes (PID, registers, page maps, process name and
arguments, etc).

I cannot fathom why you would be getting an error saying "/proc" was full,
especially since it's a read-only filesystem (you can't accidentally write
files into it.)

To check your disk space scenario, run a 'df -k'.  This will show you
all your partitions (slices) and how full they are.

Most likely you were downloading something into /, /tmp or /root which
resides on the "small" / filesystem, rather than into /usr/home or
/usr/tmp which is on the "big" /usr filesystem.

--
Matt Emmerton