Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:32:47 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        E Lakin <pharaoh@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading 2.2.1->2.2.2 problem

E Lakin wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, Doug White wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 1997, E Lakin wrote:
> > > While trying to upgrade my machine to 2.2.2, i ran into a problem early-
> > > my machine won't boot from any of the 2.2.2 media! I've tried making a
> > > boot disk from the boot.flp on the cdrom, and also booting to dos and
> > > running install.bat from the cd-rom.
> > >
> > > symptoms: freebsd probes all of my hardware, and then gets a double
> > > fault.
> >
> > Ack!
> >
> > We'll need the panic output before we can isolate what's going on.
>
> Unfortunately, there's no panic output. Here's what it says when
> booting from a floppy disk:
>
> ...various HW probes...
> changing root device to fd0c
> panic: double fault
>
> syncing disks...
>
> Then, the machine freezes. The same thing happens when booting from
> the cdrom from dos, sans the "changing root device" line.
>
>         --eric lakin

Well, it's a well-known bug...

It seems that:
Some AMD motherboards will not boot the 2.2.2 floppies, while yet other
machines (I happeed to run across DEC Ventirus FXs) won't boot later
2.2-RELENG boot floppies. The cause for all this is still unknown. The
best cure available at the moment is to use the older floppy to install
the newer version (use the options section to change the name of the
distribution). You may have to do a little fixing afterwards, but once
you get the correct version installed you can run sysinstall and do most
things.

Nadav