Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2017 03:24:34 -0500
From:      Sergei Akhmatdinov <sakhmatd@riseup.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Second attempt at FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-i386, Xorg, and Xfce graphical desktop

--Sig_/ZvoZzt3yNy/VlIFAu2N2TiR

I apologize for the recent double-post, sent from both email addresses by
accident.
----
On Mon, 16 Jan 2017 21:00:31 -0800 David Christensen
<dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:
> I generated xorg.conf.new per the manual section 5.4.8:
>=20
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

The handbook is slightly out of date. Get rid of any generated Xorg.conf fi=
les,
startx *should* work out of the box. In fact, in a lot of machines, X -conf=
igure
is harmful and breaks X while autoconfigure works just fine.

If startx doesn't work out of the box, all the tweaks should be done
in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d

> Can I replace my /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf with the following?
>=20
> # /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/dpchrist.conf
>=20
> Section "Files"
> 	FontPath     "/usr/local/share/fonts/dejavu/"
> EndSection
>=20
> Section "Module"
> 	Load  "freetype"
> EndSection

Yes, just name your file something like 20-dpchrist.conf. But I reccomend
20-fonts.conf so you know what the file does.

> > As far as your qeustions go...
> >
> > Do you have both hald and dbus running? =20
>=20
> How do I determine if both hald and dbus are running?

All of your start-up services should be in your rc.conf.

> > Please provide your /etc/rc.conf =20
>=20
> toor@freebsd:/root # cat /etc/rc.conf
> clear_tmp_enable=3D"YES"
> hostname=3D"freebsd"
> ifconfig_em0=3D"DHCP"
> # local_unbound requires forwarders to support DNSSEC, and AT&T gateway d=
oes
> # not:
> # local_unbound_enable=3D"YES"
> sshd_enable=3D"YES"
> ntpd_enable=3D"YES"
> powerd_enable=3D"YES"
> # Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
> dumpdev=3D"AUTO"
> zfs_enable=3D"YES"

Doesn't look like you have hald and/or dbus. Add both. You need dbus for
Firefox and a few other programs to work anyway.

XFCE uses HAL and DBUS along with PolKit to provide unprivileged shutdown.

Add
hald_enable=3D"YES"
dbus_enable=3D"YES"

Then either reboot or run
# service hald start
# service dbus start

> Add the suggested lines:
>=20
> toor@freebsd:/etc # vi rc.conf
> clear_tmp_enable=3D"YES"
> hostname=3D"freebsd"
> ifconfig_em0=3D"DHCP"
> # local_unbound requires forwarders to support DNSSEC, and AT&T gateway d=
oes
> # not:
> # local_unbound_enable=3D"YES"
> sshd_enable=3D"YES"
> ntpd_enable=3D"YES"
> powerd_enable=3D"YES"
> # Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
> dumpdev=3D"AUTO"
> zfs_enable=3D"YES"
> dbus_enable=3D"YES"
> hald_enable=3D"YES"

Well, forgive me or pointing it out, but looks like you didn't follow the

> > Are you using ports or packages? A mix of two? (latter very ill advised=
). =20
>=20
> I'm using 'pkg'.

The errors you are seeing could be related to the packager's machine, but t=
ry
enabling HAL and DBUS first and see if they go away. In my experience,
GUI/DE-related errors of that nature are harmless.

If they don't go away, try using ports to build the packages. Just be sure =
you
don't mix ports and packages unless you know what you are doing.

On a very big tangent, most of the Desktop Environments still have strong t=
ies
to GNU/Linux distributions. I personally recommend you try Lumina or switch=
 to a
WM-only setup for most optimal tweak-free experience. That's not to say tha=
t you
can't do it, but... give it a thoght. Just my two cents. :)

Cheers,
--=20
Sergei Akhmatdinov

My GPG public key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys AD800D99