Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 16:59:26 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Module parameters?  (WildWire DSL card driver)

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Back in July I was asking about the capability to set parameters (variables)
> > when loading my DSL driver module.  There was a small flurry of activity
> > about some initial ideas on how to do it, but I never heard any more about
> > it.  Did you (Mike, Warner, or anybody) have time to work on it?  Did this
> > capability get put into release 4.1, by any chance?  :)
>
> A common trick "in the old days" was to load a parameter module
> that the driver module depended up, and give it a hook that it
> could call to get data from the parameter module, by reference
> to a statis structure.
>
> You would send the data down to the parameter module before you
> load the driver module; thus:
>
> 1)      Load paramter module
> 2)      Open parameter module psuedo device
> 3)      Ioctl parameters up/down via the pseudo device
> 4)      Load the deriver module
> 5)      Driver module attach routine call parameter_fetch()
>         routine out of parameter module
> 6)      Parameter module returns static parameter structure,
>         by reference
> 7)      Driver dereferences parameters out of static struct
> 8)      Driver completes attach

I'm implementing this suggested method, but I have one problem.  I don't
know what "device" to access to allow me to do ioctl's to it.
That is, I've created a parameter module (which loads and is accessible
by my driver) - but I don't think that (alone) has created a "device",
has it?  If so, what is it named?  Realize that at step 3, my real
device doesn't exist yet, so I can't reference that...
Do I need to somehow "create" a (pseudo-)device in my parameter module
- and if so how do I do that?

Thanks,
Gary