Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2000 15:16:36 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minor HEADS-UP re: config(8)

This shouldn't cause any breakage if you don't do this, but you should change
references to "controller" in your kernel configs to "device".  Of course, don't
do this before recompiling usr.sbin/config.  I have bumped configversion
as older configs will not appreciate this too much if you get them mixed up.

The difference between 'controller' and 'device' has been a figment of
config(8)'s imagination for quite some time - at least as far back as
newbus, and quite probably as far back as FreeBSD 2.0.

There have been some other changes and cleanups, but I don't expect there to
be problems.  One bonus is that the following comment about a quirk:
-       /* XXX: Why do we always get an entry such as:
-        * { '?', "ncr", '?', '?' },
-        */
.. has been resolved and no longer happens.  This was a misfeature of the
partial cloning of parent "controllers".  This would happen if you added an
entry "device cd0 at scbus?".  config(8) would create virtual devices with
wildcards based on guesses and similarity to other things.  ie: if there was a
'scbus0 at ncr0' and somebody referenced 'scbus?' it would guess that another
'scbus? at ncr?' would be needed.  Nothing used this, except the old vax-style
configuration mechanism that never(?) entered 386BSD/FreeBSD.  (not newconfig,
I'm talking about the really old oldconfig)

Anyway, just change 'controller' to 'device' and be happy. :-)

Cheers,
-Peter