Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 19:17:24 -0400
From:      Gabriel Selmi <gabe406@connix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail

Hi,

    Could someone please help me. I hate to beg, but for 3 months
straight I can't get e-mail to work on two networked FreeBSD machines.
Here is what I have:

unix.one.com
IP: 197.150.168.1
Gateway: 197.150.168.102
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

unix.two.com
IP: 197.150.168.2
Gateway: 197.150.168.2
Netmask:255.255.255.0

I don't have a router setup and the two machines can ftp, telnet,
finger, and even talk to users on each machine. When it comes to sending
e-mail to either of the machines, I get "user unknown" or "
undeliverable address". At first I tried setting up NIS but that turned
to disaster as all the material I was reading referred to a ypinit that
I can't find in 2.2.5. DNS setup also failed as mail said I was sending
to myself in the MX address. I have spent months looking on the
internet, looking at several manuals, and searching newsgroups, but I
can't find anyway to do e-mail between two network machines. Could
someone please (for my sanity and future marriage) please direct me in
some way to resolving this issue. If you can please e-mail at:
gabe406@connix.com.

Thank you.

Gabe