Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:40:28 +0400
From:      "Dmitry Mishin" <dimka@egartech.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can't open /dev/dsp

Hello there!

I'm trying to have sound on my FreeBSD4.4 and have had subj problem.
I did all accordingly with /usr/share/doc/handbook/sound.html:
in kernel configuration:
device pcm
options PNPBIOS  (I have CMedia8386 sound card onboard)

It's Ok, cat /dev/sndstat recognized it as pcm0
Then I did  cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0 - no errors, all devices were =
created.
Then I tried to listen anything in my KDE 2.2 - there was no sound
Ok, I installed mpg123 and tried it - and have got subj error
/dev/dsp->/dev/dsp0->/dev/dsp0.0 - all have rwxrwxrwx premissions.
What's wrong?

Thanks,
Dmitry. =20