Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:01:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warner's PCI Modem Driver

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, Warner Losh wrote:

>In message <Pine.OSF.4.10.10001261139530.31609-100000@saul4.u.washington.edu> "Jason C. Wells" writes:
>: sio0: <Generic communications device, maybe winmodem> rev 0x08 int a irq
>: 9 on pci0.18.0
>: sio2: pci sio unit 0 moved to sio2 at 0x6100
>: sio2: pci unit 0 probe failed
>:
>: I am told that the modem is not a winmodem, but I don't know how to tell
>: by looking at it. The modem is a Phoebe. The documentation for it is
>: sparse.
>
>You may be being lied to, imho. :-) The probe failed means that it was
>unable to talk to it even as a 8250.

So it turns out. My friend turned me on to a linux site that list the
braindead modems. Mine was on the list. The guy at the shop said, "That's
stragne. I have a policy against carrying win-modems. Apparently, there
was some lack of indication that it was a winmodem. He then assumed it
wasnt a winmodem.

>: It would seem to me that my device is configured except that pesky
>: "probe failed" message. Is my PCI modem working? What am I missing?
>: Should I move my sio device numbers around so that the PCI modem doesn't
>: get moved to sio2?
>
>No.
>
>That the modem likely isn't a pci controller based modem.
>
>No.  The pci code does that on its own and will always do that.
>
>How much did you pay for this board?  If it is < $80 then you likely
>have a winmodem.  Or at least a controllerless modem.  Also, what
>chipset does it use?

Conexant R56D/fooPCI

>Relax.  You've done nothing wrong.

I have seen Jordan climb in a couple people shorts with a hot poker on a
couple occasions. When I get a good connection I'll be back!

Thank you Mr. Losh,
Jason C. Wells