Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 22:53:19 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From:      rasmus@lerdorf.on.ca (Rasmus Lerdorf)
To:        Jonah Kuo <jonahkuo@mail.ttn.com.tw>
Subject:   Re: php-3.0b4

>     I'm having trouble with PHP-3.0b4.
>     My OS is Freebsd 3.0-current and gcc is v2.7.2.1.
>
>     After I configured it, I simply type 'make' and it produced
>     lots of error messages. I found all the object files in functions/
>     were put into the top source tree, except number.o, instead
>     functions/ directory.
>
>     Then I checked the Makefile, I found
>
> functions/%.o: functions/%.c
>         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@
> functions/number.o: functions/number.c
>         $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -w -c $< -o $@
>
>     Is there something wrong? or should I modify the file
> /etc/make.conf?

Congratulations, you have discovered how braindead BSD make is.  Install
GNU make and your problems will go away.

At least I think it is braindead behaviour.  If someone can explain to me
why $< and $@ expand correctly in the number.o rule, but not in the
general rule, I would appreciate it.  Sun make, Irix make, GNU make and
everything except BSD make handles this nicely.

-Rasmus