Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 18:29:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Val <val@hcol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backing up with dump multiple file systems.

I just figured all this out for myself.  To do the dump that will allow
multiple file systems, use something like the following:

dump -u0 -a -f /dev/nrst0 /usr

The -f /dev/nrst0 tells dump to use the non-rewinding form of SCSI tape
0.  As for restoring multiple file systems, you need to use the mt
command before each restore.  For example, if /usr is the first dump
session on your tape, simply type restore -i to enter the interactive
restore shell and restore from /usr.  Then, exit restore, and type mt
fsf.  This will advance the tape to the next session.  Then type restore
-i again to restore the next session.  The only problem I had was
restoring from the first session on the tape.  It was really SLOW (but
worked perfectly).  I was using a DEC TZ04 (I think) to do the
dump/restore.  If anyone can shed some light on restore hints to improve
speed, I'd love to hear them.  Par la vie, the TZ04 is a SCSI-2 device.

Joe Clarke