Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:29:02 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1048008542.59f0f3@mired.org>
To:        Simon Chang <schang@quantumslipstream.net>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic in 5.0-RELEASE

In <5942294691B4D611A16A00805F4B18DB0130C7@www.thefirstcity.net>, Simon Chang <schang@quantumslipstream.net> typed:
> This past weekend I experienced a kernel panic in my 5.0-release running on
> a Dual Pentium Pro system.  Is this the correct mailing list to write to and
> seek help from?  (I've already posted in the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
> group but nobody has responded thus far.)

No, it isn't. 5.0-release is not a production system, it's a
development system. The correct procedure when you are having problems
is to upgrade your system to the lastest version of 5.0-CURRENT to see
if the problem has already been fixed, then send mail to
current@freebsd.org if you are still having problems.

For dealing with panics, you should have a kernel with symbols built
so you can provide a stack trace of the problem. Being able to
identify the problem and provide a fix is strongly encouraged for
-current users.

	<mike