Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:56:07 +0100
From:      cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        Mathias Menzel-Nielsen <matze@matzsoft.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:03:15PM +0100, Mathias Menzel-Nielsen wrote:
> My hardware is fully supported by FreeBSD and in fact some of it was
> supported earlier on FreeBSD than on Linux.
> For example, the Brooktree bktr(4) Video-Capture driver existed first on
> FreeBSD, also high-speed cd-burning was
> not possible on Linux without eating all available cpu-time, before
> kernel 2.6 -- at that time FreeBSD burned my cd's
> at 52x-speed without noticeable cpu-usage. Multimedia was always a
> glance on FreeBSD -- dvd-playback/record,
> xvid-encoding, tv-capturing, blender -- all ever worked like a champ.
> Additionally to that, i would never move back to a linux distro, simply
> because their archaic package-management
> is not half as reliable in day-to-day-use as the FreeBSD ports tree. I
> am running the same FreeBSD install since 4.9
> and it was easy and non-problematic to update to even major release
> changes. Even if that criticism doesnt apply
> as much to gentoo, which has some good efforts to use a "ports-tree"
> under Linux, I just prefer the original :)

Same here. Using FreeBSD as a multimedia workstation and very
happy with it.

There are still a few shortcomings though, like missing MIDI
recording (not playback) functionality and no support for my
Pinnacle DC10+ Zoran video capture card; but if I need that,
I'd just dual-boot into gentoo (which *does* feel a lot like
FreeBSD from an admin POV and the main reason I picked that
distro, just to feel more at home), do whatever is needed,
and then reboot into FreeBSD. Not ideal, but workable.

Regards,
-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/