Date:      Thu, 05 Mar 2009 12:35:27 -0500
From:      Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HP Procurve, FreeBSD and LACP

Hi everyone,

I'm attempting to configure a lagg interface between a FreeBSD box and
an HP Procurve 2848, but can't seem to get it right.

The lagg interface consists of an re and an age device, both connected
to the switch at 1000/full. FreeBSD claims that lagg is up, but only one
of the physical interfaces is set to 'ACTIVE'.

The switch is 208.70.104.2/25, and the lagg interface is 208.70.104.110/25.

I can ping the FreeBSD box from the switch (and vice-versa), but traffic
traversing the switch to the FBSD box fails.

When I ping from FBSD to another host connected to the switch, I see ARP
who-has and replies travelling in both directions, on both devices in
question.

However, any Layer-3 (ICMP) doesn't cross the switch.

The switch claims things are ok:

# sh lacp
   PORT   LACP      TRUNK     PORT      LACP      LACP
   NUMB   ENABLED   GROUP     STATUS    PARTNER   STATUS
   ----   -------   -------   -------   -------   -------
   11     Active    Trk1      Up        Yes       Success
   12     Active    Trk1      Up        Yes       Success

# sh mac
  MAC Address   Located on Port
  ------------- ---------------
  001a70-14563d Trk1
  001d60-0d7b63 Trk1

# sh arp
  IP Address      MAC Address       Type    Port
  --------------- ----------------- ------- ----
  208.70.104.110  001a70-14563d     dynamic Trk1

# sh trunk
  Port | Name                             Type      | Group Type
  ---- + -------------------------------- --------- + ----- -----
  11   | amanda.eagle.ca (LACP link #1)   11        | Trk1  LACP
  12   | amanda.eagle.ca (LACP link #2)   12        | Trk1  LACP

# sh run
vlan 10
   name "cat10"
   untagged 1-10,13-22,29-44,Trk1
   ip address 208.70.104.2 255.255.255.128
   exit

I know that the host's setup is ok, as I can connect the lagg interface
directly into a second FreeBSD box with lagg, and things just work.

Is this a case where I am doing something wrong, or do I just need to
replace the HP with a Cisco? ;)

Steve