Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 19:34:29 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        dave <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building gcc

On Sun, May 27, 2001 at 12:23:29PM -0500, dave wrote:

> I also don't understand how the gcc tarred source doesn't have the glibc
> library..
>
> I just downloaded and built it on some Alpha linux machines at work and it
> was compiling stuff from stdio.  Stdio is a part of glibc.  Obviously gcc
> comes with glibc.

glibc is the standard C library on *Linux*. FreeBSD doesn't use glibc
but has its own libraries.
Gcc does not include the various standard libraries but uses those of
the host OS. (In terms of ANSI C, gcc is a freestanding compiler, not a
hosted compiler.)

Again: gcc does not, never has, and hopefully never will, come with
glibc not require it.

> Has anyone actually upgraded gcc on a FreeBSD or am I just getting
> speculative uninformed answers?

You are getting quite correct answers.

One thing to note though : Although g77 is included with the base
FreeBSD system it is invoked as 'f77' (and not as 'g77').

> On Sat, 26 May 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 16:10:33 -0700
> > To: dave <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
> > From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> > Subject: Re: building gcc
> >
> > On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 04:54:05PM -0500, dave wrote:
> > >

> > > I have not done this yet as I realize the importance of the C library
> > > any UNIX system.  Am I safe to download the same version of gcc I
> > currently
> > > have in source form  <gcc-2.95.3>  and build the compilers I want from
> > that
> > > collection?
> > >
> > > I'd like g77 and gnat specifically. [mostly gnat... want to play with
> > Ada].
> >
> > gcc is included in the base FreeBSD system, and g77 is built by
> > default.  gnat is available in the ports collection.

One thing to note here : Although g77 is included with the base

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson