Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:19:12 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscall() ABI questions

Apparently, On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 11:59:01AM -0800,
	John Baldwin said words to the effect of;

[...]

> >> Same kernel stack?  The register is set in the trapframe which means it is
> >> saved on the kernel stack.   Is that shared in the vfork case?
> >
> > Same user stack.  The trapframe is copied to the child's kernel stack.
>
> Then the vfork case should be fine, b/c we fixup %eax in the child's kernel
> stack so that when it returns from the syscall, %eax already has the right
> value.

Sorry, maybe I wasn;t clear.  The problem is that the parent's return
address can get clobbered unless its saved in a register and copied
through the trapframe.  Otherwise if the child returns from the kernel
and immediately executes a "ret", the parent's return address will be
below %esp on the shared stack and could get clobbered.  It uses
jmp *%ecx now to return, which works fine because both parent and
child have a _copy_ of the value.

I hope this makes sense  :)