Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 02:07:12 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any cards that work?

Most people don't care about spending the $$ for a quality sound
card and honestly I don't can't blame them. You are right
that comp.sys.soundcard... news group is not necessarily a good
source however comp.speech is a good source to see what
works with speech recognition -- i.e., good quality and low noise.

About the VIBES stuff it just a heads up of what is coming our
way and hopefully soon.

Turtle Beach usually makes good sound cards and they can go from
anywhere from $100 to $300 .

With respect to quality on sound cards the primary target areas where
sound manufacturers usually skim on are the analog components and
the crystals. In certain cases the codec chipset is not up to the
job like the original SB16 chipset at least with respect to
full-duplex 16 bit audio .

My Lab, oops , my aparment is usually very quiet and having a nice
stereo kind of spoils me with respect to sound quality.

	Cheers,
	Amancio