Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:06:10 +0000
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scalable mail server

Neil> Perosnally, I am more interested in ways of making the mail server
Neil> scalable by having distributed data. If all the Maildirs are stored
Neil> on the one NetApp it is not exactly an infinitly scalable solution. What
Neil> would be nice is a simple(!) way of spreading the mailboxes between
Neil> multiple machines with say a couple of customer facing machines
Neil> handling incoming port 25 and 110 connections. That way you can have
Neil> users a-e on one box f-l, on another etc, the customer facing machine
Neil> then needs a way of knowing what is where. Using /etc/passwd is a no
Neil> go area. SQL based or Radius based user verification is essential
Neil> nowdays for large servers.

The system we use can easily be scaled to multiple filers.  Since
Maildirs go in customer home directories (or anywhere else you like,
but not one big spool), you can control where these go as you like.  We
already hash the directories used into 100s of directories based on
unique IDs, so I could move these to lots of different filers if I
liked, which seems to be what you want.  Effectively, this is using
the customer directory and the mount table as a lookup table to select
the backend, or you could use replicated directories full of symlinks,
allowing you to change the mapping quickly if there is a failure.  I
can't see any way of making it much simpler.

Using /etc/passwd works fine for us and should continue working until
100K+.  We are looking at SQL solutions and the passwd database is, of
course, built from a database.  You can't beat it for speed.

It doesn't really effect the scaling issue though.  You need some way
of finding where the mail is, you can use /etc/passwd, hashing based
on user name/uid, SQL, Radius, or whatever.
--
Alan Judge					Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Internet Services			Fax:   +353-1-6046948