Date:      26 Mar 1998 12:19:07 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD lounge...

John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org> writes:

> well, now that I'm well net connected, I could advertise it for the
> next three months...  and I'd probably even hang out there quite a
> bit too...  (I would have to start an Xserver on my box though :) )

I might be able to do it here, too. I need to finish getting up to
2.2.6 and config the kernel for a quickcam and SB. My lowly P60 is
running mrouted for our office LAN here, out to the NASA MBONE fabric.

> but I do agree with Luigi on using GSM for audio...  it's really great
> on modem links (Luigi and I have used it between us, and each time one
> of us was behind a modem)...  and you can still use your modem for
> other stuff...  (gsm is encodes 160 16-bit samples into 33bytes)...

When I've done this point-to-point it worked fine as you say. When I
did it multicast I got flooded with MBONE routing updates and it
sucked so much of my modem bandwidth that RIP routes failed to get
through and my link died. I used the mrouted.conf "bandwidth"
parameter to leave me some room on my line for non-MBONE
traffic. After a while, the mrouting stabilized and became a low
overhead.