Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:03:44 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        nbm@mithrandr.moria.org, rizzo@icir.org, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ugliness in rc.* scripts

On (2002/08/21 09:52), M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Why not just have
>
>     case -i ${some_config_variable} in
>
> to do the case folding.  This would be a backwards compatible extension:

I don't think the ugliness involved in the rc scripts justifies any of
the proposed hack-arounds yet.

And if you _were_ going to hack around, you'd want to introduce a form
of parameter expansion that did lower-case transliteration for you, e.g.

	${parameter:lc}

Much more useful, but non-portable.

But I digress.  I don't think the ugliness is ugly enough.

Ciao,
Sheldon.