Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 1996 13:12:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        croot@btp1da.phy.uni-bayreuth.de (Werner Griessl)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Diamond Stealth SE VLB.. screwy fonts

> > diamond stealth SE VLB. This one has one meg of dram and the S3 Trio32
> > chip on it ( 86C732-P ). It seems to be nice and fast but the fonts on
> > it are screwed up.
>
> Try to comment out the Type1-fonts in your XF86config.
> #    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"

 I found the problem and the solution. The XF86_S3 server that comes
with the CD does not support the new cards fonts. I got the new server
from ftp.xfree86.org:/pub/XFree86/3.1.2B/FreeBSD-2.0.5. Here is an
extract from the release notes:

 2.6.  S3 server

     o  Workaround for the hardware bug in some new Trio32 chips that
        causes font corruption.  To enable this workaround, add the
        following line to the Device section of your XF86Config:

                  Option "trio32_fc_bug"

 This is one for the database

 -branson

branson matheson    |     work: e.b.matheson@larc.nasa.gov
CSC SysAdmin        |           http://longstreet.larc.nasa.gov/~branson
(w) 804-864-9700    |all other: ebm@visi.net

  *** I am getting a NEW job at Ferguson Enterprises. Please send ***
  ***    all mail to my ebm@visi.net address after Feb 1, 1996.   ***