Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 09:06:33 -0500
From:      Jason Young <jyoung@accessus.net>
To:        "'Francis A. Vidal'" <francis@usls.edu>, FreeBSD ISP <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: V.90 modems (Was: Cyclades Z series vs. Cisco 2600)

Well, unfortunately v.90 modems (actually most modems in general) vary wide
and far in initialization strings.

It is rare to have a setup where you would hook 56K modems up to a
2500-series router and get 56K -inbound- connections. Your everyday
POTS-using external 56K modem won't do this, you need to have the modems
hooked up to a channelized T1 or PRI. Unless you have something like a USR
Total Control hub which can accept calls over CT1 or PRI and still have
actual serial ports on all the modems, it won't happen. So, there probably
isn't a lot of gain in tweaking your init strings.

Jason Young
Access US(tm) Chief Network Engineer