Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 1995 14:15:16 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't ping myself on PPP address

I've just set up FreeBSD 2.0.5 with a PPP link to an ISP.
When I attempt to ping my machine at its PPP address, I get
no response.  Is this expected of PPP, or do I probably have
something wrong in my configuration?

I have set up a subnet so that other local hosts find the
gateway on its ethernet port, but currently the resolver is
reporting the PPP address as the primary address from the
gateway itself.  This is causing some network apps to fail.
(E.g., I can connect Netscape to my http daemon if I use
http://localhost/, but not if I use the real hostname.)

Thanks,
-Pat