Date:      Wed, 18 Jan 1995 12:52:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      James Bonnyman <jib@eee.eleceng.nottingham.ac.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing FreeBSD v2.0

Last night I had a major disk crash and am
considering this to be a good time to upgrade
from FreeBSD1.5.1 to version 2.0.

I have Three questions however,

1. When using the Disklabel screen the, it was
   reported that dos was on part e and not h.
   as outlined below

   part   start    end     blocks   MB   Type  Action  Mountpoint
   a      0        0       0        0    unused
   b      0        0       0        0    unused
   c      82368    528191  445824   218  unused   <Entire FreeBSD slice>
   d      0        528191  528192   258  unused   <Entire Disk>
   e      48       82367   82320    40   MSDOS
   f      0        0       0        0    unused
   g      0        0       0        0    unused
   h      0        0       0        0    unused

   Total Size 445824 blocks    218MB
   space allocated 0 blocks    0MB

   I am install FreeBSD to a completly reformated hard
   disk ( from BIOS, not DOS ), and had only actually
   formatted the 40MB disk, dos at this point was not
   on it. Is this bad, what if anything do I need to
   do to get round this problem ( since it appears that
   I should be putting /usr/local on 'e' )

2. Is it possible to install using NFS as before
   from the minimum kernal ( I use the machine at
   src.doc.ic.ac.uk )

3. I will be setting up another machine to act as
   a CD-ROM blower for my department. I had decided
   to do this (under V1.5.1) by having partitons as below

	1. 20MB dos partiton for booting & Software

	2. 700MB dos partion for files to be blown to
           the CD using a CD-Writer

        3. 300+MB for FreeBSD

   I would then make (2) above pc-nfs exportable, such
   that users within the department could mount it using
   PC-NFS ( all our PC's have this ). Put the files on
   the disk, and then reboot the machine under dos and
   blow the files to the CD .

   Is this in your opinion a good idea ( My main reason
   for doing it this was is that although I know it is
   possible to export DOS files systems under linux, I
   HATE linux, and also happily run FreeBSD and have been
   doing so for the last year ).