Date:      Wed, 30 Nov 2011 07:37:48 -0500
From:      "Viet-Ha Pham" <hapvbk@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wifi throughput test issue (FreeBSD 8.2)

Hello,

I am doing some throughput measurement for Wifi network. I am using =
jperf/iperf to generate traffic (at the transmitter) and measure the =
throughput (at the receiver). The transmitter and receiver are running =
FreeBSD 8.2, using CM9-GP as the Wifi NIC. We are testing AWGN channel. =
So, the transmitter and receiver are connected by cables, txpower on =
both sides is set lower than the max (ranging from 0 to 10), AWGN noise =
is injected in the middle of the cable.=20

We measure the maximum throughput at each transmission rate. Transmitter =
is a STA, receiver is an AP. We fix the unicast rate at the transmitter =
to 54 Mbps (using "ifconfig ... ucastrate" command). The packet size is =
set to 400 Bytes, UDP protocol is used and the transmit bandwidth is set =
to 30 Mbps in order to flood the transmission channel (to push it to its =
limit). At first, at the receiver (AP) the measured throughput is about =
12 Mbps. Then I fix the unicast rate at the receiver (using ifconfig =
again) to 54 Mbps. The measured throughput increases to 20 Mbps. I set =
the unicast rate at the receiver to autoselect again, the throughput is =
still 20 Mbps.=20

When I switch the rate at the receiver, there are multiple message =
displayed on the screen of the transmitter: "wlan0: =
ieee80211_new_state_locked: pending RUN -> AUTH transition lost". This =
message is repeated for many times (at least 20).=20

I repeated the test with all transmission rates, change the packet size =
and still observe the same thing: a throughput improvement of about 30% =
is observed when I switch the unicast rate at the receiver and the =
improvement is still there when I switch the unicast rate back to =
autoselect. The same thing is observed in modes a and g. The same thing =
is observed if the unicast rate at the receiver is set different from =
the unicast rate at the transmitter.=20

I spent time to look at the kernel source codes but I did not find a =
solid answer for this. Please help me to identify the problem and the =
answer.=20

My question is:=20

1. Why do I have that throughput improvement when I switch the rate like =
that?=20

2. Is it a bug in the driver?=20

3. What does the error/infor message on the transmitter mean?=20

Thank you so much.=20

HAPV