Date:      Thu, 7 May 1998 16:02:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Castor Fu <castor@geocast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cvsup and CVS with active developers

I've been trying to understand CVS and cvsup, and how they work
together, and I'm confused.

My central question is as follows:
	Does someone who's actively working on a code base still use
	cvsup?  If so, how do the changes get propagated to the
	original source?

As I understand it, if I cvsup a file collection there are two modes:

Checkout mode:

	This is what most people use when they are basically using a
	collection in a read-only mode.  They get something more like a
	CVS "export" command in that CVS files repository information
	is not propagated.

	Thus, this doesn't get used by developers who commit directly
	into the CVS repository.  This seems like it should work well
	in the FreeBSD model where people submit patches to a handful
	of committers, and most developers are not committers.

CVS mode:

	What arrives is basically a replica of the actual CVS
	repository.  So if I start checking files out of this tree, how
	do I stay in sync with everyone else?

	One way I could see would be to perform a checkout using this
	as the root, but then munge the "Root" files to point to the
	central CVS repository. . . But this seems kind of like a hack.

I know that I don't understand CVS very well, but it seems like the
'checkout' mode ought to have a way to populate "CVS" directories with
appropriate info.

Finally:  Any plans for adding authentication to cvsup?  I suppose
	using ssh as described in the man pages is one way. . .

	Thanks!
	Castor Fu,
	castor@geocast.com