Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:57:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DDS-2/DDS-3 drives

>Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 12:38:30 +0930
>From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>

>IIUC, amanda doesn't handle EOM correctly, which makes it less than
>excellent.

This could well be Yet Another Instance in which I demonstrate my level
of clue-deficiency....  :-{

However:

* I would have expected that handling EOM would be a driver issue,
  rather than an application (amanda, in this case) issue.  Granted, the
  application would need to handle exceptional conditions (in general)
  "properly", and in the case of amanda, one of those is EOM.

* It is my current understanding that in the event that the current
  tape isn't writable (any more), and *if* the amanda configuration permits
  the action, amanda will request that the tape changer load a new tape,
  and it will continue with that tape.  If that fails, amanda will leave
  the backup image on the "holding disk," and send mail indicating the
  nature of what happened and what was done as a result.

  It isn't apparent to me what other behavior would be preferable, under
  the circumstances.

I've been using amanda here since August, 1998 (before we had an
auto-loader available; we did have a pair of DDS drives, so I used the
pseudo-changer that allows more than one drive to act as a changer); it
seems to be working reasonably well for us.  I would use it at home, but
one of amanda's (current) design points is that for each execution, it
starts writing at the beginning of a tape:  it does not append a given
days' files to an already-written tape.  Thus, I coudn't afford the
media and the time to do backups as often as I can with my home-grown
Perl script (writing to an Archive DDS drive witha 4-slot autoloader).

Color me perplexed,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621