Date:      Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:10:58 +0100
From:      Jase Thew <bazerka@beardz.net>
To:        Jayton Garnett <jay@codegurus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange crashing/rebooting problem

Jayton Garnett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You should be using the IA-64 version of FreeBSD as these are Intel
> chips and nor AMD chips?
> FreeBSD 5.4 IA-64 is for the Intel EM64T/Xeon/Itainium CPU's, FreeBSD
> 5.4 AMD64 is for the AMD 64/x2/Opteron/FX CPU's.
>
> You will have more luck using the IA-64 release, I am not sure if you
> can cvsup the source and rebuild the IA-64 version so you might have to do a
> fresh install, and since you have backups of your databases it should
> not take you longer than 1hour to get it all running smoothly again.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jayton Garnett

Hiyas,

This is incorrect. The IA-64 builds are for Intel Itanium and Itanium-2
processors only [1]. The AMD64 builds are the correct ones to use for
both AMD64 and Intel EM64T processors when 64-bit support is required [2].

Regards,

Jase Thew.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-ia64.html#PROC-IA64
[2] http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/hardware-amd64.html#PROC