Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:44:47 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <kstewart@urx.com>
Subject:   Re: compile KDE2.2 error on FreeBSD

Kent,

> When did you cvsup, kappfinder was turned off just
> a few minutes before 19 August.

Apparently before the 19th then :-)

No, seriously, I'll do a new cvsup and try again.
My latest cvsup was on the 15th, IIRC.

I can't quite grasp why KDE2 with dependencies
have -O2 turned on on the Alpha, when it then
proceeds to spew out huge warnings about
how -O2 triggers known optimizer bugs
on this platform for every file it compiles.

When I saw these warnings, I proceeded
to override it in make.conf. The result was
that the settings in make.conf of course was
picked up and used, but appended to already
existing settings in the ports makefiles.
According to the gcc man pages, the latest
-Ox specified is the one that takes effect.=20
I therefore trust I haven't compiled it with
-O2, but with -O1. It still complains tough, but
I suspect that's because it sees -O2 as part
of the command at all, disregarding the fact
that another -Ox option has been specified
later.

The reason I rant on about this is because
I'm trying to deduce wether or not the
problems I have are related to some
compiler setting that could be less than
ideal on the Alpha. I always suspected they
were, because I haven't seen any major
complains about it, and I think there would
have been a lot of them if KDE2 was broken
on i386 as well.

As a side note: what is the procedure when
a port is broken? cvsup - test again - write
to freebsd-ports - contact the maintainer -
file a bug report?

- IT