Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:04:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Christopher Palmer <cpalmer@jig.ordway.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Off-topic: politics (groan)

Hello all! If you are not interested in petty squabblings, delete this
post. If you are, get a life. :^D

Context: A while back, David Greenman posted a response to a list member
who was complaining that he felt uncomfortable posting to this list due to
flames. DG asked if we thought anyone was especially guilty of flaming,
and I pointed my finger at Greg Black.

The reason I did so was because I thought the way he treated the CMP
journalist who posted a jumble of basic meta-questions was cruel and
unusual. I still think that, but I have come to realize that my
condemnation of Greg might have consequences for him that are undesirable
both to him and to myself -- his removal from the list (unlikely, but
threatened), and his loss of egoboo due to my flaming him for flaming.

As I told DG and Greg, censorship is an anathema to me, and I do not and
never did wish to get Greg removed from this list. I would like to express
my regrets for having condemned Greg publically, because it has caused
more trouble than it has been worth and because it has not caused him to
change his mind about what he did to the unsuspecting (?) journalist,
which was my original intention. This is not to say that Greg has not
reconsidered what he did. We have talked about it privately, and we still
both hold the same opinions we did in the beginning about this whole
affair.

My point? It's all very silly, and I wish I had not bothered to respond in
any way to the CMP Clubie Debacle. Consider my condemnation of Greg
retracted.

I understand this kind of crap has nothing to do with the list as it is
chartered, so please flame me privately -- I don't want to see any more of
this on-list. Thanks.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

:^)

Christopher Palmer
Assistant Systems Administrator, Ordway Music Theatre
cpalmer@jig.ordway.org