Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:47:15 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@sage.thought.org>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Subject:   Re: "Connection refused"

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 12:07:29AM -0500, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 07:14:43PM -0500, Charles Swiger wrote:
> [ ... ]
> >>DNS for that address is broken, so sendmail on the other machine is
> >>unable to get a valid a record to make a connection, so you get
> >>"connection refused":
> >
> >	tao is on my private 10.0.0.247 IP.   I *have* added
> >	ns1.thought.org to my /etc/mail/access file and did a
> >	"# make maps"; I also reinitialized sendmail.
> >
> >	Still get "Connection refused"  /etc/hosts* andn
> >	/etc/resolv.conf look good.  What else??
>
> You can try telnet'ing to port 25 on the problem host from your other
> machine by hand and see what happens.  However, sendmail really wants valid
> DNS for mail servers, so changing /etc/hosts probably isn't going going to
> be enough. Consider using a mailertable entry with [10.0.0.247] to disable
>  MX lookups, rather than a hostname...

	This is strange; I just allowed telnet in /etc/inetd.conf and
	reinitialized;  from here on sage/ns1, this.

telnet tao 25
Trying 10.0.0.247...
telnet: connect to address 10.0.0.247: Connection refused
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

	Could I be missing something in rc.conf?

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix