Date:      Wed, 06 Feb 2002 22:10:32 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
Subject:   Re: Document: 99% (Opera)

2/6/2002 3:02:32 PM, Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com> wrote:

[snip]
>Why the opera port went to the 6.0-TP series is beyond me -- it
should
>have stuck with the released version.  If anything, an opera-current
>or opera-devel port should have been create for this version.

Hard to object to having more versions available.  However, I'd point out
the following:

1. Nothing like this bug (extremely slow image loading, causing some
pages to hang for up to several minutes while showing 99% or 100%
loaded) has been reported in the opera.linux newsgroup that I've seen,
so there was no indication that any such problem would occur with a
port.

2. The maintainer says in response to the PR that he's not experiencing
the bug (obviously, or I'm sure he wouldn't have released the port), so
again, no indication that a problem was likely to occur.

3. The maintainer has a long history of Opera ports, and this is the first
time I can recall one with a significant bug not seen in the native Linux
version.

So the move to TP3 does seem understandable, though as I agreed
above, it would be nice to have the earlier port of the released version
available as well.

Jud