Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:09:49 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ECC capability and ACPI warnings

On Oct 12, 2007, at 12:54 AM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:
> Is there any way, by poking through dmesg or sysctls, to determine
> if a
> machine has, or is capable of using, ECC RAM?

Well, the sysutils/dmidecode port can be used to answer that question:

pi# dmidecode -t memory
# dmidecode 2.8
SMBIOS 2.3 present.

Handle 0x1000, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
Physical Memory Array
         Location: System Board Or Motherboard
         Use: System Memory
         Error Correction Type: Single-bit ECC
         Maximum Capacity: 4 GB
         Error Information Handle: No Error
         Number Of Devices: 4

Handle 0x1100, DMI type 17, 23 bytes
Memory Device
         Array Handle: 0x1000
         Error Information Handle: No Error
         Total Width: 72 bits
         Data Width: 64 bits
         Size: 128 MB
         Form Factor: DIMM
         Set: 1
         Locator: DIMM_A
         Bank Locator: BANK_1
         Type: SDRAM
         Type Detail: Synchronous
         Speed: 133 MHz (7.5 ns)
[ ... ]

> Also, is there an easy way to silence the following warnings in dmesg?
> They all appear to be about the serial and parallel ports, which,
> as far
> as I know, the machine does have. They may not be enabled in the BIOS,
> however.

I think those messages only appear if you do a verbose boot...?

--
-Chuck