Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 09:46:37 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which linuxdist is closest to FreeBSD?

Micke Josefsson wrote:

> I have never used Linux but sometimes people approach me and ask which linuxdist
> is best. If I should recommend them linux - I do not, but some people seem have
> their minds 'penguin-locked' -  which dist would be easiest for me to comprehend
> should they have further questions (about setting it up etc)?
>
> This is not a troll! I'm a very happy FreeBSD user since 2.1.7. Wouldn't touch
> linux with a 10 foot pole, but apparently some other people are willing to...

Philosophically, Debian is supposedly very similar to FreeBSD with the
"core team" and the reviewed submission policy.  I don't know what the
finished product is like (probably like most other Linux distros).

Also, don't worry about recommending Linux if it is the best tool for
the job.  Most people in these lists will tell you that what OS you
choose should be based on which OS is best at solving whatever problem
you have.  They will also tell you that FreeBSD is usually the best. :)
Unfortunatly if you friend it looking to do digital video editing or
something like that, don't try to stick FreeBSD on them, they are not
going to get a good impression of FreeBSD.  (You probably don't want to
recommend Linux either).

--
  / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org