Date:      Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:44:33 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release schedules

On Friday 12 December 2008 19:26, Sean Cavanaugh wrote:
> [...]

According to http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.1R/schedule.html , the ports
tree was frozen on 8 September, tagged on 22 September and unfrozen. (I see
elsewhere in this thread someone saying it's still frozen - I'm not sure
which statement is correct). 7.1-RELEASE should have been done a couple of
weeks later - early in October for announcement on 13 October.

We are now looking at a release in January. That's not a few days or even a
few weeks late - it's almost four months late; and 7.1-RELEASE will ship with
a ports tree that's almost 5 months out of date. Not only that - it's
shipping mere weeks before the end-of-life for 7.0-RELEASE (currently 28 Feb
2009).

I have been watching the web page and freebsd-stable. There has been no
obvious indication of the reason for the delays or the expected duration.
(For earlier releases, there was a todo page linked from the release webpage
which listed areas needing more work and areas needing testing). The -RC1
release announcement finally acknowledged that there had been a number of
major problems, not all of which have been fully addressed yet.

As a community, we should be ashamed of this: ``volunteer effort'' just isn't
a good enough excuse - and those of us who haven't volunteered need to find
out how we can help get things back on track for the next release. When I
first raised this, I asked if there was anything I could do to help the
release engineering team with communication. Zbigniew Szalbot made a similar
offer.

I really think that once 7.1 is out, we (collectively) need to have a long
hard look at the release process and make sure this doesn't happen again (and
again and again and again - it's not the first time that I've scheduled work
around release dates and ended up being embarrassed or having to do jobs
twice, with a pre-release and then again when the release arrives.)

Jonathan