Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 20:21:53 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Migrating freebsd to a larger partition?

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" writes:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2001 20:27:37 -0600, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
> wrote:
> +-----
> | By any chance is there an issue with your MB BIOS and (presumably ATA)
> | drives greater than 2G?
> +--->8
>
> I think I mentioned da0s3... it's SCSI and there should be no such issues.

You are right. I should have noticed that. Guess I got sidetracked by
your mention of CHS.

While I have moved operational installations of FreeBSD from partition
to partition and/or drive to drive in the past with success (using dump/
restore), I consider it worthwhile every 2 or 3 years to wipe and
reinstall. A good way to "clean house". Finds cruft possibly left from
upgrades, uninstalled ports, or something I was experimenting with and
simply forgot or missed cleaning up after. Also forces me to identify
what I consider important.

In your situation I'd try a clean install from CDROM to the new slice.
Then cherry pick the config files and such that you want to keep. Rather
than move ports, I'd pkg_install or "make install" each fresh. You can
leave the old 2G slice laying around as long as it takes to feel
comfortable that you found everything.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net