Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:24:26 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        Benjamin Keating <motionsiren@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD & mini-ITX

Benjamin Keating wrote:
> I've been eyeing up these mini-ITX boards - would like to make a quite
> little file server. Does anyone here run a mini-ITX board (what
> model)? Does it work out of the box? Anything not supported? I'd go
> for one of VIA's as AMD's and others are still a little new and
> pricey. Recommend a shop to purchase from (in the US)?

I bought a VIA EPIA CL1000 (now PD, dual NIC) and a Morex Cubid 3688
case one year ago from mini-itx.com.

I installed FBSD 4.10 and later FBSD 5.3-5.4 with out any problems. I
haven't installed X11, I don't see the point as it's a server remotely
controled with ssh, and I don't have a spare monitor anyway.

The only issues I have had are: 'halt -p' reboots instead of powerdown,
so I had to 'halt' then powerdown manually. ACPI doesn't read cpu
temperature.

I use it at home as my mail/web/whatever server with a DSL connection,
generally with a load of 0.00. The DSL limits the traffic so it simply
can't get too much network load.

I have had one problem that gave me some grey hairs, which I initially
thought it to be MB or disk problem, but it turned out to be ip-filter
rather than hardware.

mini-itx.com reports noice of < 25dB. The fans may produce that level of
noice if they were not mounted. I found resonances causing the box to be
quite noicy, in particular the cpu fan.

You can buy some stuff to make the fan run slower and it helps. But what
really helps is to reduce vibrations: Raise the cpu fan a bit from the
cooler plates using some heat tolerable silicon, this makes the fan run
more freely and transfers less resonances to the cooler plates and onto
the MB. Also place the box on rubber feet so it won't pass on vibrations.

I run my box with only the cpu fan, no others, the box is hot but it
runs without problems.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org