Date:      05 Sep 2002 12:35:37 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
To:        "Lucien Ginzburg" <fjdl2000@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bsd installation / running Linux

"Lucien Ginzburg" <fjdl2000@hotmail.com> writes:

> i'm a new user to bsd and succesfully installed bsd.
> After i entered a user password and ID i notice that
> the access to the root is denied. What can i do to
> remove the ID/ password security (temporarily) without
> having to  reinstall a complete bsd ?

When the machine starts to boot, you get a message to press a key to
stop the boot (it's been a while since I rebooted, so I can't remember
the exact message). When you hit a key, you get a
boot:
prompt

you should then be able to get up with boot -s to boot and fix this.

>   As i wanted to install Linux or a compatible (convenient)
> graffic interface i  did the following :
>
> $ls /compat
> linux
> $linux
> Linux driver already loaded
> /compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig: can't create /etc/ld.so.cache~
> (Permission denied)
> $
>
> Could you explain me what i have to do ?

Linux is a kernel, not a graphic interface. You probably want to
install XFree86. You can either install this at install time or from
ports by doing
cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
make install

> To finish with : once bsd was fully installed and bootable
> i couldn't use the cdrom anymore to load the additional
> packages from cd 3 and cd 4.

How do you mean that you could not use the cdrom? When you insert a
cd, can you mount the cdrom device (mount /cdrom) ? What error do you
receive ?

--
- Wayne Pascoe  -  http://www.penguinpowered.org.uk/wayne/
    Win if you can. Lose if you must. But