Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 2010 14:56:34 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ObsoleteFiles and TARGET_ARCH

Quoting "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com> (from Tue, 06 Jul 2010
17:49:19 -0600 (MDT)):

> I'm wondering...
>
> Why do we use TARGET_ARCH so much inside of ObsoleteFiles?  It seems
> like it should be used only when we obsolete files on some
> architectures, but retain them on others.  Instead, it seems to be
> used to obsolete files that normally exist on a specific
> architecture.  This seems backwards.

As the person who wrote this initially:

The goal was to only delete stuff which was not available anymore on
one architecture but where still available on others (as in the
20040130 entry, IIRC at this time the rename was specific to sparc64
and other architectures still had this lib). If it is not used like
this, it is a bug.

> Also, we need to change this, but I don't (yet) define a
> TARGET_CPUARCH.
>
> Also, why is this TARGET_ARCH and not MACHINE_ARCH?  That suggests
> we're invoking it wrong if this is "needed" for the cross build case
> to "work".

The goal was to have something which can be used like "make
DESTDIR=/... XXX=arch_of_dest delete-old" where DESTDIR is either a
remote FS for a system of architecture as specified by XXX, or a local
mount of something with the same properties like in the remote FS
case. Without the XXX on the command line it shall behave like the
architecture is the same as the current system. If TARGET_ARCH is not
the correct XXX in the sense as described before, feel free to change
it to something better. I think I used TARGET_ARCH after looking at
what make universe is/was doing.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
It is impossible to defend perfectly
against the attack of those who want to die.