Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:08:32 -0500
From:      "Jud" <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu
Cc:        freebsd@vagner.com, jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu, vriviere@snv.jussieu.fr, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual-Boot Windows 2000 and FreeBSD 4.6

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To: freebsd@vagner.com (Laszlo Vagner)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:42:22 -0500 (EST)

>=20
> better yet create 2 partitions while installing win2k, but only install=
=20
> on the first, then
> install freebsd on the second, finally install the freebsd boot manager.

Yup.  If you have to go back and reinstall W2K anyway.  But, if you
already have it there, squeezing it is easier and less headache.

////jerry

You can either create two partitions and only install=20
W2K on one, or only create one partition taking up=20
whatever part of the disk you want to devote to W2K=20
and install W2K on it.  The second way is easier,=20
because you won't have to delete the second W2K=20
partition or convert it to FreeBSD - you just create=20
a FreeBSD slice in the remaining empty space to begin=20
your FreeBSD installation.

So long as the partition to which you install W2K is
the correct size, you won't need any "squeezing."  (If
you do need to change the size of your W2K partition,
rather than buying Partition Magic for $70, use the
30-day free trial of BootItNG, which in my experience
works *better* than Partition Magic.  Available at
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com .)

It is probably most convenient to install the FreeBSD
bootloader at first.  If you then want to use the W2K
bootloader, instructions are available in the FAQ at
FreeBSD's web site.  Or my favorite bootloader, Grub,
is available in the FreeBSD ports system -
/usr/ports/sysutils/grub.  Just be careful to read the
instructions thoroughly no matter what bootloader you
decide to use; if you bork it, the result is an
unbootable machine, not irretrievable, but certainly
anxiety-producing.

If you continue to have problems after all this good
advice  ;-), please let us know.

Jud