Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 22:49:43 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Need to justify FreeBSD vs. Win2K

Hey all,

I've been helping my old boss to design a WAN for the company.  What it
will consist of is three offices connected by Frame Relay.  All main
servers centralized to one office, the other two to be remote.  The remote
offices will have fileservers/routers.  The main office will have:

- Mail server
- Router
- Existing AIX-based box
- Possibly web server
- Firewall (separate machine).
- A single NT machine for a proprietary software package - simple
client/server architecture.  All communication with it will be IP based.

Simply put, my plans were to make all severs FreeBSD, with the exception of
the one machin that HAS to be NT, and the existing AIX machine (it has a
maintenance contract from the supplier on it).

We're trying to make sure that all is well in the world, and today my boss
comes to me and says "how about using Windows 2000 for the network?". I've
been hunting high and low, but have only come up with a bunch of articles
on what Win2K is SUPPOSED to do, not what it IS doing (yes, I do realize
it's still in Beta).

I need help justifying one against the other.  Any thoughts?

Here's the needs:
- Ease of maintenance
- GREAT stability
- High security

If I walk, they really don't have an IT guy.  The one they have is supposed
to be an "NT guru", but I had to explain to him what a hosts file is for.
I don't hold much hope for him lasting long.  So, the idea of support is
somewhat important.  My concern is that they install an MS network now, and
spend an eternity doing upgrades and security patches on a monthly basis,
with the every present fear of MS turning off the support (ala Win3.1 -->
win95).  My thougths were that with a well configured and well documented
FreeBSD network, they'll be running solid until a) the first breakin, b)
the first major crash, c) a security upgrade is necessary (like the recent
need to update RSAREF2), or d), we're up to v.6.x-stable, and they're
running 3.x-stable, and a new port comes out that they REALLY need that
only runs on the newer versions.

Any thoughts of how to reason this out with them, or where I might find
more information?

Thanks in advance,
John Papalia