Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 11:19:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick K <biojavachicago@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD used in the Movie Industry??

--- Nick Lozinsky <nl3481@wi.rr.com> wrote:
> Subject: Is FreeBSD used in the Movie Industry??
> > Hi,
> >     I have read on the Internet that FreeBSD is
> used in making the effects
> > of the movie, The Matrix. Is that true?
> >
> >   Are there any movies whose effects are made
> using freebsd??
> > If so,does that  mean that an ordinary PC can also
> produce such effects if
> > the PC is running freebsd and the apporopiate
> hard/software?
>
> As far as I know, IRIX was used and is used to make
> most of the SGI for
> games and movies. Because IRIX is a part of SGI's
> supercomputers, it is
> directly used.
>
> Later

I think FreeBSD was used for "The Matrix", although
for a long time IRIX was THE system used. "Phantom
Menace", "Perfect Storm", "XMen", and "Gladiator" are
a few recent movies that used IRIX.

Linux is starting to replace IRIX. I think "Shrek" was
done with Linux. "Lord of the Rings" was done on SGI
hardware running Red Hat Linux. I've read that
LucasFilm is going to Linux too.