Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:17:49 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dial-up backup for leased-line failure

Hello all!

I have some BSD-based gateway & router servers which are connected via
X.21 and PPP links using the Cyclades PC300 router cards.  That's fine.

My question: How do I provide dial-up based backup in case one of the
fixed lines should go down?

For example, Cisco 1600-series routers can be configured with a BRI
interface which will automatically dial and connect in the event of
failure in the Serial interface.  But living in an exchange-rate
challenged country, I need to find a cheaper (than Cisco) way of
acheiving a similar result.

I don't mind doing some RTFM, but I'm not quite sure where to find the
right M.  Point me at it please! :)

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.